Monday, November 28, 2011

What Advent is...?

How did the weekend Masses go for you as the Roman Missal, Third Edition was unveiled? I can truthfully say that I was very nervous as Mass time drew near on Saturday evening. With three parishes I was able to calm my nerves by the last Mass on Sunday morning, but starting out, my stomach felt like it was in knots. Like I told the people, it will take patience and compassion on our part as we begin this journey with the Roman Missal. The first time I said, "The Lord be with you," there were a few, "And also with you," and all I could do was smile. That seemed to be the cue because when I smiled there were a few "Oh's" from the congregation, so they knew. As I mentioned, it will take time so let us be patient with ourselves and compassionate towards one another. This is a beautiful time of the year as we begin Advent and our preparation for the coming of the Lord at Christmas. Ultimately, we are preparing for the coming of the Lord at that day and hour when we least expect. The key word from our readings on the First Sunday of Advent is, "Watch." Be watchful that the day of the Lord will not catch you off guard. So, what is Advent? The answer comes from a handout in our diocesan bulletin. "Advent- Is a time of waiting, Is a time of trust, Is a time of prayer, Is a time of Joy, Is a time of Expectation, Is a time of Hope. Dare to proclaim: the MESSIAH is coming." This is what Advent is all about. It is a time for us to prepare, to grow, and not be afraid to proclaim the coming of the Lord. May our lives and our faith be strengthened and renewed during this holy time. God Bless You!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment