Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!! This is truly a beautiful day to give thanks and praise to God for the gifts and blessings that He has bestowed upon us. Of course, that spirit of thanksgiving is one that we need to live everyday. The fourteenth-century German Dominican mystic Meister Eckhart offers this advice for Thanksgiving Day: "If the only prayer you said in your whole life was 'Thank you,' that would be sufficient" (Loose-Leaf Lectionary, 1553). A number of years ago I remember someone saying, "When someone offers you a compliment, instead of saying thank you, say Thank God." We do not do everything on our own. We always need to trust in and rely on God's presence because we have all been created in God's image and likeness. At times I have gotten in the habit of saying to someone after a compliment, Thank you, but then when I turn away I say Thank God because I know I do not do what I do alone. God is always there! This day is a perfect time to strengthen our "Attitude of Gratitude." We always need to be thankful for the gifts and blessings that we have in life. This day reminds us what we should be doing everyday. Let us pray for the grace to be thankful and if there is one prayer that we need to say, let is be "Thank You!" Have a blessed holiday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment