Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Commemoration of All Souls

Today we remember all the faithful departed and the new life that they have in Christ. Theirs is a life that we all look forward to and we have that promise of eternal life because of Jesus' death and resurrection. This became an important day for me when I was in the seminary. The Benedictine monks at Saint Meinrad helped me to think about those who have gone before and how we are to prepare for our own death. Saint Benedict tells his monks, "Keep death before you daily." I have tried to do that because we never know the day nor the hour. At the seminary I remember on this day that the monks would process to the monastic cemetery with their hoods up, candles lit, and the death bell tolling in the distance. It was an experience that I will never forget. I strive to bring those details into my priesthood and help the people of God as we journey through life and faith together. We have a duty to pray for those who have gone before us. We do that by celebrating feasts like today, visiting a cemetery, or scheduling a Mass for a loved one. We always remember our loved ones because they have a special place in our lives and our hearts. This day reminds us of those we have lost and we do feel sorrow and grief, but we also have hope because death is not the end but the beginning. May our faith and hope be strong as we pray for our beloved dead and as we prepare ourselves for the journey ahead that will hopefully lead us to God's eternal kingdom. God Bless You!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment