Saturday, July 2, 2011

Peaceful Invitation!

I have been a priest for 14 years and have administered the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick to many people. However, I had never received the sacrament before until I had my accident a couple weeks ago. It was truly a prayerful experience and gave me an idea of how people must feel when they receive the sacrament. Whenever I administer the sacrament I always refer to the gospel that we will listen to this weekend, Matthew 11:25-30. The passage that really catches my attention is this beautiful and peaceful invitation from our Lord: "Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light." We know that we all have a share in the cross of Christ. We also know that suffering is a part of life and how we deal with it is important. I have had to learn that over the last few weeks because it has probably been 30 years or more since I have spent a considerable amount of time as a patient in the hospital. I need to grow in faith, trust, and above all, patience. As I listen to this invitation of our Lord, I pray that my patience will be strengthened and that I may always feel the loving and healing presence of God. May you find peace as you listen to this invitation! Have a blessed weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment