Monday, July 18, 2011

Caring for the Sick!

It was a month ago this past Saturday when I had my medical emergency and accident on the bike. Even though the month has gone by fast, it has been a long month and it has taken some time to get back to where I need to be. When I went into the hospital that was probably the first time in 30 years or more that I had been a patient. I have been use to visiting people in the hospital on a regular basis but it is a different feeling when the role is reversed. It was tough being a patient but it taught me a lot and it helped me to connect with those who are sick on a different level. Today, the Church observes the memorial of Saint Camillus De Lellis, who had a great care for the sick. The short biography of his life says that he had entered the military profession but after his conversion he devoted himself to caring for the sick. Saint Camillus was ordained to the priesthood and founded a society that established hospitals and cared for the sick (Magnificat, 262). The opening prayer at Mass acknowledges that fact as well, "Father, you gave Saint Camillus a special love for the sick. Through his prayers inspire us with your grace, so that by serving you in our brothers and sisters we may come safely to you at the end of our lives" (263). That call to serve the needs of our brothers and sisters rings loud and clear, especially those who are sick. We pray for those who are sick and suffering and pray that we may do what we can to reach out to them in their need. Saint Camillus De Lellis, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment