Thursday, August 16, 2012

Limitless Forgiveness

From Matthew 18:21-19:1, "Peter approached Jesus and asked him, 'Lord, if my brother sins against me, how often must I forgive him? As many as seven times?' Jesus answered, 'I say to you, not seven times but seventy-seven times'". Just think, if we could only forgive people seventy-seven times, how many of us would be out of forgiveness? Thankfully, forgiveness is unconditional. Forgiveness is a gift that cannot measured and no limits placed on it. It is a tremendous experience when we can forgive someone. That is when true peace and reconciliation takes place. As a priest told me one time, "The one person that we find hard to forgive is ourselves". We need to pray everyday for the grace of forgiveness. Being able to forgive others and being able to forgive ourselves. Yes, we are all sinners in need of God's mercy and forgiveness, and it is unconditional. We have shortcomings, limitations, faults and pfailings. Our human weaknesses cannot hold us back when it comes to forgiveness and we cannot hold back forgiveness when it comes to ourselves. A lesson that I can take to heart as I write this blog because I have found that to be true over the years but forgiveness is very much needed to allow for growth and peace. Let us spend time with this gospel and allow the word of our Lord to touch our lives and hearts in a special way. When it comes to forgiveness, Jesus is the ultimate example. Have a blessed day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment