Friday, August 10, 2012

Called to Serve!!!!

That is a wonderful title to think about, "Called to Serve." When I was in the vocation office for the Diocese of Salina, Kansas, I used that title as the theme for the office. No matter what our vocation in life is: married life, single life, priesthood, religious life, we are called to serve. Our main vocation is "Discipleship" and that means service. Jesus mentions service in the gospel for today, John 12:24-26, "Whoever serves me must follow me, and where I am, there also will my servant be. The Father will honor whoever serves me". Today, the Church celebrates the feast of Saint Lawrence, Deacon and Martyr. In my homily for Mass, I highlighted the call to service and spoke about the three tiers of Holy Orders: Deacon, Priest, Bishop. Those who have received the Sacrament of Holy Orders are called to serve and be an example of service to others. We pray for our Bishops, Priests, and Deacons- Transitional and Permanent, who live the call of service in the Church and their respective communities. May we always be open to the call of service and follow the example of the holy men and women who have gone before, like Saint Lawrence, as we continue to build up the kingdom of God in our midst. Have a blessed day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment