Monday, July 19, 2010

The Saint of Faith!

Yesterday I focused on "Seeing is Believing." Today I would like to focus on a saint who was challenged to grow in his faith. Earlier this month, the Church celebrated the feast of Saint Thomas the Apostle. Saint Thomas is known as "Doubting" Thomas because our Lord had to spur him on in his faith. Think back to Jesus' Resurrection. The disciples were locked in the upper room when Jesus appeared to them but Thomas was not there. As the disciples told Thomas they had seen the Lord, his response was, I will not believe it until I put my finger into the nailmarks and my hand into his side. The next time Jesus appeared Thomas was with them and our Lord called him front and center. Jesus told Thomas not to persist in his unbelief but believe. Then for our benefit Jesus goes on to say, "blessed are those who have not seen but have believed." We have not seen but we believe that Jesus is present and his promise to be with us until the end of time still stands. Several years ago I heard someone say that we should give our guardian angel a name because we can identify with them. The name I chose for my guardian angel was Thomas. I know that I can always use a tune-up when it comes to my faith and so I look to Thomas for this guidance and prayers because he is the saint of faith. Have a blessed day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment