Monday, July 12, 2010

Call of Discipleship

As we begin this new week, we receive the same message that we have been hearing for some time now, the call of discipleship. This is a very important message that we need to listen to and above all, follow! In Matthew's Gospel for today we hear Jesus say, "Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever does not take up his cross and follow after me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it" (Mt. 10). That does not mean that we are to stop loving our family and friends, but it means that these relationships and our very life should not hinder us in our relationship with Jesus. As one of the commentators for today says, "This priority of loving is crucial in order to enable us to love adequately our loved ones. We take up our cross and follow after Jesus in order to become 'worthy' of Jesus - to love with his love" (Magnificat, 160). We pray that the heart of Jesus will be our heart and that we will love others as he loves us. It is a beautiful call! By living the call to discipleship and love, we can grow in our relationship with Jesus and with one another! Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment