Friday, July 13, 2012

Saint Henry

The Ordo for today's memorial reads: "Henry II, + 1024; together with his wife, St. Cunegunda, he assisted the poor; as emperor, he respected the Church's freedom, fostering ecclesiastical and monastic reform; founded the See of Bramberg as a center for missions to the Slavs; patron of Benedictine oblates" (157). Being the patron of Benedictine oblates is what caught my attention. Of course, the Church just celebrated the memorial of Saint Benedict the other day, so what a great way to continue the Benedictine theme. As I have mentioned before, I received my priestly training from Saint Meinrad School of Theology in Indiana. I have a great love and respect for the Benedictine monks and am thankful for the formation that I received. It was only right when I was thinking about becoming a Benedictine oblate that I would join through Saint Meinrad Archabbey. I began my novitiate to be an oblate in 2005. I spent some extra time praying and studying the Rule of Benedict, as well as the other writings that were sent to me during that time. Then, around this time five years ago, in 2007, I made my final profession as a Benedictine oblate. To begin my novitiate and to make final profession, I had the opportunity to be at Saint Meinrad both times and go through the ceremony in the Archabbey Church. I am truly grateful for my Benedictine formation and for the Benedictine spirituality that I have grown to love and live every day. In a special way, I ask Saint Henry to intercede for me and for all Benedictine oblates around the world, that we may truly live our calling and make Christ known to all we meet. Saint Henry, Pray for Us!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment