Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Saint Benedict

I don't know if I have mentioned this before on the blog but Saint Benedict is one of my favorite saints. I came to know Saint Benedict through my seminary formation at Saint Meinrad in Indiana, which is under the guidance of the Benedictine monks. The three things that come to mind when I think about Saint Benedict are: Hospitality, Seeing Christ in our brothers and sisters, and Keep death before you daily. Saint Benedict is a wonderful example for us as we strive to live faithful, holy, and prayerful lives. The entrance antiphon for Mass said it well: "There was a man of venerable life, Benedict, blessed by grace and by name, who, leaving home and patrimony and desiring to please God alone, sought out the habit of holy living" (Magnificat, 144). We remember in a special way today all the Benedictine men and women who follow the Rule of Benedict and the charism of his sister, Saint Scholastica. May God Bless their prayer and work! May we strive to live that Universal call to holiness each day! Saint Benedict, Pray for Us!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment