Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Proclaiming the Faith

The Church celebrates the Feast of Saint Thomas the Apostle. Not much is known about his life but what we do know centers around faith. Thomas is known as the "Doubter." We hear that in the Gospel for the day, John 20:24-29. After the Resurrection, Jesus appeared to the disciples but Thomas was not with them. When Thomas did return the Apostles told him about their encounter with the risen Lord, but he would not believe it. As Thomas said, "Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands and put my finger into the nailmarks and put my hand into his side, I will not believe." Of course, when Jesus appeared the second time, he called Thomas forward. Upon putting his finger into the nailmarks and his hand into the Lord's side Thomas said, "My Lord and my God." A beautiful confession of faith and there is a meaning for all of us as Jesus says, "Have you come to believe because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed." Even in our own lives, we have questions and doubts, but we have that divine assistance to help us at all times. Let us not persist in our doubts or our unbelieving because the Lord is truly risen and his presence is with us at all times. Saint Thomas the Apostle, Pray for Us!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment