Monday, January 2, 2012

Early Beginnings!

As a young boy, I always enjoyed building things out of wood. I had buildings, factories, and whatever else I could think of. One day, I thought it would be neat to build a church. That was my early interest in the Catholic faith and the thought of being a priest. The first church that I built was small and not furnished. Eventually, I would build larger churches and have them furnished with all the items you would find in a Catholic Church. Of course, there had to be a name. The first church that I built was named, "Mary, Mother of God!" I found that name by looking at a church calendar and since it was on January 1, how appropriate. Now, I would have to change that name to, "Mary, the Holy Mother of God." Those churches no longer exist but the memories are there forever of that early beginning in learning and living the faith. The title, "Mother of God" comes from the word, "Theotokos," meaning God-bearer. As one source says, "This established her not only as the mother of Jesus, but affirmed Jesus as the Son of God" (Today's Liturgy, 2012). There is also a prayer that establishes the title, "Holy Mother of God." This prayer is from the 11th Century Latin: "Under thy protection we seek refuge, Holy Mother of God; despise not our petitions in our needs, but from all dangers deliver us always, Virgin Glorious and Blessed" (Today's Liturgy, 2012). We thank God for the gift of Mary, our Blessed Mother. Even though the 1st of January is past, we can still rejoice in the gift of Mary, the Holy Mother of God, because her presence and intercession are with us each day! God Bless You!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment