Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Vacation Time

Following the Knights of Columbus State Convention, I took off for some days of vacation. The highlight of these days away was not about something that happened to me, but it did recall a wonderful memory that happened to me 15 years ago. On Sunday, May 1 the Catholic Church rejoiced with the Beatification of Blessed John Paul II. It was a beautiful celebration and it also coincided with the great Feast of Divine Mercy. We have a wonderful model to look to and Blessed John Paul II is a great example of faith, holiness, and prayer. As we marked this day, I could not help but think about the great honor and privilege I had 15 years ago to meet Blessed John Paul II. At the end of 1995 and beginning of 1996, 17 seminarians from Saint Meinrad, including myself, did a January Interterm in Rome. We spent several weeks in Rome and then had the chance to travel around Europe before coming back to the United States. Right before we departed Rome, our group had the opportunity to have a private audience with the Holy Father. He came around to each of us. We genuflected, kissed his ring, and were able to tell him who we were and where we were from. I remember when I told him that I was from Kansas his response was, "Ah, Kansas!" I have the picture to prove this wonderful encounter, as well as a blessed rosary that he gave to us. The picture is a great keepsake but the memory lives forever in my mind and heart. To think that I had the opportunity to meet a future "Blessed" is remarkable. I thank God for the opportunity and thank Him for our new Blessed, John Paul II. Let us continue to pray for his intercession! Blessed John Paul II, pray for us!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment