Saturday, February 26, 2011

"Don't Worry, Be Happy!"

This was the title of a song that came out a number of years ago. Even friends who are reading this blog will say to me, "Don't worry, be happy." I will admit, I have a tendency to worry and it is nothing new, it has been following me for years. That is why I need to listen to the gospel for this weekend, Matthew 6:24-34. According to the commentary, "Four times in today's Gospel Jesus tells us not to worry. He begs us to believe that our 'heavenly Father knows' what we need" (Magnificat, 371). Of course, worrying does not help us at all, especially our health. As this thought reminds us, "Worrying will not 'add a single moment to your life-span.' What does add length, and depth, and richness to our life is serving our true Master" (371-72). What we need to realize and what I need to realize is that God is in control. We can only change the things that we do in our lives. There are some things that we cannot change and that is where God comes in. It sounds like I need to go find the "Serenity Prayer" and pray it because it says the same thing. In light of the gospel, we need to place our faith and trust in God. We give in to worry and anxiety but we need to learn how to control that. Yes, we will worry about some things but we cannot let ourselves be consumed with worry. Like the psalmist reminds us: "Rest in God alone, my soul" (Ps. 62). Let us find our comfort and peace in God because He is in control. Have a blessed weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment