Saturday, October 26, 2013

Being of Service!

The time of pilgrimage and vacation has come to a close and ministry begins in full force!  We got back several days ago but the ministry started right away with two funerals back to back.  Now the weekend is here and time to reflect on this past week and what comes to mind is service.  Today is a special day for me, October 26, because it was 17 years ago today that I was ordained a transitional Deacon.  That means the diaconate was only temporary because I was on my way to be ordained a priest!  Being a Deacon reminds us of the call to service and of course, we are all called to serve, no matter what vocation God calls us to.  One of the things that I love to do is at funeral dinners and that is going around with tea, water, or coffee and offering refills to those who are eating.  It gives me a chance to interact with the people who were present and just provide that ministry of presence and service.  Usually people will tell me that I should be eating, but I say no, I love to serve and the servant waits until the end so that others can partake.  Sometimes it is those small things that people remember and it can touch lives and hearts.  I thank God for the gift of ordination and for the gift of service.  May God bless us as we continue to bring His love to our parishes and communities!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment