Thursday, July 18, 2013

Jesus' Invitation

Another beautiful Gospel passage that I enjoy was proclaimed at Mass today, Matthew 11:28-30. I call this passage, "Jesus' Invitation!" Our Lord says very powerfully, "Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light." I use this passage whenever I administer the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick. It is a reminder for all of us, whether we are well, sick, suffering, or dying that our Lord is always present. It is a beautiful invitation to come to Jesus with faith and in prayer. This passage is also appropriate for today because it is the memorial of Saint Camillus de Lellis. After his conversion, he devoted himself to caring for the sick. Once he was ordained to the priesthood, he found a society that established hospitals and cared for the sick. Matthew 11:28-30 is a passage that we can share with all peoples. Come to Jesus if you are feeling labored, burdened, worried, stressed, or whatever the case may be, because he will refresh us and give us rest. Saint Camillus de Lellis, Pray for Us!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment