Monday, July 29, 2013

A Ministry to Remember!!!!

The Church celebrates the memorial of Saint Martha on this July 29!  We know Martha as the one who was preoccupied with all the serving while her sister Mary sat at the feet of our Lord.  Jesus told Martha that Mary had chosen the better part.  However, prayer and service go hand in hand.  In order to do our service, we need to pray!  Today, I want to reflect on a life of service and ministry.  On Sunday, the Diocese of Salina received the sad news that Bishop Emeritus George Fitzsimons had passed away.  As Bishop Edward Weisenburger wrote in his note to us, it is with sadness, but Resurrection joy....  That is the key to our faith, yes we are sad, but we live in faith and hope of the Resurrection.  Bishop Fitzsimons had been a priest for 52 years, a bishop for almost 40 years, and the bishop of Salina for 20 years before his retirement in 2004!  He chose to stay in the diocese after his retirement and help out wherever he could.  It will soon be a year ago that he helped me out in a caring way.  He came to Washington, Kansas and had the weekend Mass there after my dad passed away.  Then he came back and con celebrated his funeral.  I think back to 1991 when I was a junior in the college seminary at Saint Meinrad when I met Bishop Fitzsimons for the first time.  I was applying to the diocese for acceptance and I met with him when he visited the seminarians from Salina that were there.  The following summer, I was accepted by the diocese and the rest we say is history.  Bishop Fitzsimons ordained me on May 31, 1997 and in his homily he talked about service and specifically said to me, "Do not be afraid to wash windows!"  Meaning I have the priestly responsibilities, but don't forget the other tasks that happen in life.  All of us who knew Bishop Fitzsimons are grateful for his life and ministry.  May God welcome him into his eternal Kingdom.  Eternal rest, grant unto him O Lord.  May perpetual light shine upon him.  May he rest in peace.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment