Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Psalm 51

Last week, the Sacrament of Reconciliation was offered to the students at the Catholic School where I am pastor. I put together a prayer service to set the tone and give them an opportunity to listen to God and allow Him to work in their lives in a special way. The service that I had for them began with Psalm 51. I used the shorter version that was in the missalette, but for the penance services that I have had for the parishes, we have recited the entire psalm. I fell in love with this penitential psalm when I was in the seminary. It is the first psalm that is used for morning prayer every Friday in the Liturgy of the Hours. The psalm calls to mind our sinfulness, but it also reminds us of the great love and mercy that God has for us. I would encourage you to take the time and pray Psalm 51. Hopefully it will touch your heart like it has touched mine. God Bless You on your journey!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love this psalm too, Father David! Several years ago I wrote a simple song using its beautiful words of reconciliation. Though I have never really gotten to share it, thanks for reminding me of it and God's great mercy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz for your wonderful comments! God has blessed us with the beautiful Sacrament of Reconciliation. It is very rewarding to see individuals come to the sacrament and to welcome those who have been away for a long time!

      Delete