Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Saint Bartholomew

On this first day of school for us in Hanover, Kansas we began our day by celebrating Mass and the Feast of Saint Bartholomew. Our opening song for Mass was, "God has chosen me." A very appropriate song because our Lord has called us to be his disciples. I like the gospel for today, John 1:45-51, because there is a familiar line that I have always enjoyed. Nathanael or Bartholomew could not believe that anything good could come from Nazareth and Philip said to him, "Come and see!" I remember from my days in the seminary that usually each semester they would have "Come and See Weekends," where those who were thinking about the priesthood and following God's call in their life would come and see if this was the place for them. I can say that it worked because I was an accepted recipient from a come and see weekend. Bartholomew came to believe in Jesus as the Son of God because our Lord told him that before Philip called him, he saw him sitting under a fig tree. As we begin a new year of academic work, it is a time to grow in our faith and our call to live as disciples. What a great example we have for today. May Saint Bartholomew intercede for us as we continue our journey of faith! Have a blessed day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment