Monday, August 29, 2011

Remembering St. John the Baptist

Being the pastor of a parish named after Saint John the Baptist, how could I forget to mention the feast day on August 29. I can say that the intercession of Saint John the Baptist was with my family on that day. I have mentioned my parents on several occasions in my blog. Now, we have begun another chapter in our lives. It was a tough decision, but because of my parents health, they sold everything and are living with me in the rectory. Even though I have my mother's help, I have become the primary caregiver. On August 29, my dad had a heart catherization in Wichita because he has been having chest pains. The test revealed that his heart is good and the problems associated with it can be treated with medicine. That was great news and I thank the intercession of Saint John and the prayers of the people that I told. One of the commentaries that I saw for the Martyrdom of Saint John the Baptist said it all, "John put his trust in the word of God he had been sent to preach and not in the princes whom he offended by his commitment to the truth. He defeated the power of evil not by violence but by his self-surrender to God's will" (Magnificat, 381-82). A wonderful example of not being afraid as our Lord said many times to those he spoke to, "Do not be afraid." We are to proclaim the Good News with boldness, commitment, dedication, faithfulness, and holiness. We do so, not just with words, but with our very lives. May Saint John intercede for us and help us to put our total faith and trust in the living God, for it is His will that we are called to follow! God Bless You!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment