Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Psalm 51

"Be merciful, O Lord for we have sinned!" I love that phrase and I love Psalm 51. It is a very penitential psalm and it says everything we need to know. Yes, we are sinners in need of God's mercy and forgiveness. Through the death and resurrection of Jesus we know that mercy and forgiveness has been extended to us. I fell in love with Psalm 51 when I was in the seminary. That is the first psalm that is prayed every Friday at Morning Prayer in the Liturgy of the Hours. I look forward to Fridays so I can offer that psalm, praying that it will rise like incense before the throne of God. Of course, it is a great psalm to say at any time. I have it marked in the Bible that I read from and I enjoy reading the commentary because it gives us hope. This psalm lets us know of second chances. No sin is too great for God's mercy and forgiveness. Once we approach the Sacrament of Reconciliation we know that God has forgiven us. The challenge is being able to forgive ourselves. Speaking of the Sacrament of Reconciliation, I have given this psalm as a penance at times, so it is a great resource to refer people too, especially if they are struggling with mercy and forgiveness in their lives. Today, in your time of prayer, pick up the Bible and read Psalm 51. Allow those words to touch your mind and heart and let God do wonders in your life because His great love and mercy knows no bounds! Have a blessed day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment