Monday, September 23, 2013

Saint Padre Pio

As we begin this new week, we begin with the memorial of one of my favorite saints, Pius of Pietrelcina, or as he is commonly known as, Padre Pio.  I don't know when my devotion for Padre Pio started, but what stood out was that he was a saint in our own time.  He was born in 1887 and died in 1968.  What also got my attention was that for fifty years, he bore the Stigmata, or the wounds of Christ.  He was also sought after for spiritual direction, confession, and even the Masses he celebrated, which would last for several hours.  Throughout his life, many miracles were attributed to his intercession and he was known to bi-locate, or be seen in one place, when he was known to be in another.  Definitely a holy and saintly man and priest for our time.  I have talked about and preached on Padre Pio many times.  I even use the quote that I have anywhere I can put it.  Padre Pio says, "Pray, hope and don't worry."  There is more to the quote but that is the main theme and it is a way of life that we need to accept.  We thank God for the gift of Saint Padre Pio and for his example of faith, holiness, and prayer.  May Padre Pio intercede for us as we continue our journey of life and faith.  Help us Padre Pio not to worry, but to always be a people of prayer and hope.  Saint Pius of Pietrelcina, Pray for Us!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment