Friday, May 4, 2012

The Way, The Truth, The Life

I don't know how many times I tell people that a particular scripture passage is one of my favorites. There are so many that I have lost count and maybe that means I need to write them down. I bring that up because today we listen to one of my favorite gospels, John 14:1-6. Jesus' opening line to his disciples is this, "Do not let your hearts be troubled. You have faith in God; have faith also in me." Then he goes on to say that there are many dwelling places in his Father's house and he is going to prepare a place for us. Once our Lord does that he will come back again to take us with him. At the gospel's conclusion, Jesus says, after Thomas has asked him a question, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." This is a beautiful gospel that is filled with meaning and hope. It is one of those gospels that I have chosen many times for funeral Masses. When people are filled with sorrow and grief over the loss of a loved one, they need hope, they need their faith renewed. Hopefully this gospel will do just that. Like Jesus said at the beginning, "Do not let your hearts be troubled..." Death is not the end, but the beginning. Life is changed, not ended. Do not worry! Do not be afraid! May your hearts know comfort and peace with the faith that you have in the risen Christ. Jesus tells us that we have faith in God and we need to have faith in him, for he and the Father are one. Our Lord assures us that where he is going we know the way because of the faith that we have in him. Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. This is our faith, this is our hope, this is what we believe. Let us listen to the words of our Lord, take them to heart, and put them into practice because the faith that we live just might touch someone elses' life. We are a resurrection people! We are a people of hope! We are a people that keeps our eyes focused on the life that is to come! May God bless us in our journey!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment