Friday, April 27, 2012

Call to Conversion!

"Conversion is a life-long process." That is a phrase that I remember from the Foundational Theology course that I took in the seminary. In fact, I received a good grade on the oral exam because that was one of the phrases that I used since the instructor was wanting to know what we learned from the course. I use that phrase often because we are always growing, always learning in the ways of faith. We all have our conversion stories. God touches our lives in a special way and it helps us to grow in our journey, to truly be better individuals and disciples. I have had two experiences over the years, the recent one being last year, where I truly believe God was sending me a message. I was out one evening in June riding my bike and I was about two miles or so out of town when I blacked out and went down hard on the pavement. Thankfully I was out so I don't remember the impact. Up to that point I had been praying for a renewal of mind and heart. God has always answered that prayer before but this time He got my attention in how it was answered. I know something happened on that road out there because I was out maybe 10 or 15 minutes before I came to. I was transformed, I was renewed and that is something I need to hold on to everyday. The passage from the Acts of the Apostles 9:1-20, which is read on this Friday in the Third Week of Easter, is one of my all time favorites, the conversion of Saul. As he was riding to Damascus, Saul encountered the risen Christ and he was knocked off the horse that he was riding. God had a special plan for Saul, who along with his conversion, changed his name to Paul. Saint Paul is one of the great evangelizers of the early Church. His example continues our theme of evangelization. God had a plan for Paul and He has a plan for all of us. We need to be open to God working in our lives and listen to the call to conversion because it will truly change our lives. Who knows, our example just might touch the lives of someone else. God Bless You in your journey!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment