Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Chrism Mass

That time is upon us where many dioceses throughout the world are preparing to celebrate the Chrism Mass. At this Mass, the bishop blesses the new oil that will be used in parishes throughout the next year and the priests of that diocese will renew their priestly promises. The Chrism Mass for the Diocese of Salina, Kansas will be celebrated on Thursday, April 14 at one of our newly constructed parishes in the last couple of years. I am writing about this now since I will be away for a couple of days. It is also a nice break before the pace of Holy Week begins over the weekend with Palm Sunday. I remember my first Chrism Mass as a priest. It was the week before Holy Week and I took a retreat so I had to travel back into the diocese for the Mass. I had the honor of being the recently ordained and being able to carry up the Oil of Chrism in the procession. I have always enjoyed the Chrism Mass and that goes back to when I was in the high school seminary because that Mass was always held in the seminary chapel. It is a great joy to be a part of this celebration, to ask God's blessing upon the oils that we use as priests and to renew our priestly commitment to the vocation that God has called us to live. Let us pray for all priests during this time and thank God for the gifts and blessings that He continues to bestow upon all His people. God Bless You!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment