Friday, April 8, 2011

Be merciful, O Lord!!!

In the rectory in which I live, I am blessed to have one room that is used for my private chapel. It is a wonderful place to go and spend some quiet time with the Lord. The chapel is divided into two areas: one place is arranged where I work on my weekly homilies. All of my resources and writing materials are right there. The other place is where I spend my prayer time. Since I became a Benedictine Oblate several years ago, and feel a close connection to the Benedictine way of life, my prayer area is set up like a choir stall that you might see in a monastery church. One parishioner, who happens to be a teacher, has been able to order for me bible passages that stick up on the wall and they are a wonderful reminder each time I walk in the door. The latest verse to go up is from Psalm 51, which is one of my favorite psalms, "Be merciful O Lord, for we have sinned!" Psalm 51 is prayed every Friday during morning prayer in the Liturgy of the Hours. It is a psalm that reminds us of our sinfulness, but also reminds us that God's love and mercy is greater. I have encouraged the people in general and penitents who come to the Sacrament of Reconciliation to read and pray this psalm. Psalm 51 will help you and me to begin again, to make a fresh start. That phrase, "Be merciful O Lord, for we have sinned" may be short but it is powerful. Be open to God's mercy and let Him do wonders in your life. God Bless You!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment