Friday, January 21, 2011

Saint Meinrad!!!

I want to extend my wishes for a joyous and blessed feastday to the monks of Saint Meinrad Archabbey, as they celebrate the feast of their patron today, Saint Meinrad. I have been able to connect with some of the monks on facebook so I am sure they will see this message. A life changing experience took place for me 20 years ago (1991) this April when I set foot on the grounds of Saint Meinrad Archabbey and Seminary in southern Indiana. I had been discerning a vocation to the priesthood and encountered some obstacles along the way. I knew God was calling me to be a priest, I just did not know when or how. Once I got to Saint Meinrad, I fell in love with the place and within a week after my visit, I was accepted to finish my last two years of college there and continue in the School of Theology. Saint Meinrad Archabbey and Seminary has a special place in my life and so does Saint Meinrad the person- monk and martyr who we remember today. Saint Meinrad was a hermit and lived the Benedictine charism of hospitality everyday. He even showed that hospitality to the two people that eventually martyred him. Meinrad was found on this date, January 21, 861 (1,150 years ago), so this is a special year to celebrate the life of this holy monk and man. Pray that Saint Meinrad will intercede for us and help us to live that Christ-like love and hospitality each day. God Bless You!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment